Hello, good people! Chef Moe Marsh with another delicious soup, this one from southeast Asia: Thai chicken coconut soup, also called Tom Kha Gai, which means coconut and ginger curry soup.
In this recipe, there are a lot of flavors and aromatic smells that will be pleasant to the nose and palate—the sweet smells of lemon grass, ginger, limes, basil, and cilantro all in a nice coconut curry broth. There is no question that this soup will be a hit with friends and family over for dinner.
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, cut in 1-in. pieces
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
How to Make It
In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, broth, ginger, and lemongrass and bring to boil over high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili paste. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is firm and opaque (5 to 10 minutes). Discard lemongrass. Garnish servings with basil and cilantro.